Sámi education conference 2021
Online conference: https://samas.zoom.us/j/63854550037
Interpretation link: https://samas.zoom.us/j/65384465933
October 05.-07. 2021, Diehtosiida, Guovdageaidnu, Norway
The Sami Education Conference 2020 was decided to postpone until the autumn because of the Covid-19. Conference will be arranged October 05.-07. 2021 at Diehtosiida in Guovdageaidnu. Part of the conference will be digital with a separate registration that will open in August. If it is not possible to arrange the conference at Diehtosiida, then the conference will be reorganized to a digital conference.
Sámi University of Applied Sciences and the Sámi Parliament in Norway will host an international conference at Diehtosiida in Guovdageaidnu, Norway, from October 05.- 07. 2021.
The aim of the conference is to share experiences within the field of education from the indigenous world and to present examples from Sámi early childhood education and school, as well as from international indigenous education. Shared experiences and knowledge exchange among indigenous peoples can contribute to the implementation of culture-based education.
The themes of the conference include the following:
- Daily reality of teaching settings for children and youth
- Outdoor education
- Vitalization and revitalization of indigenous knowledge and languages
- Decolonization of indigenous education
We warmly welcome educators, teachers, principals, researchers, and students to share their teaching and research practices.
Submit proposals for a presentation:
The conference will be arranged around keynotes, round table conversations, workshop sessions, duddjon and lávostallan sessions (traditional craft and knowledge exchange in the lávvu), scientific papers, teaching experience presentations, and poster and film presentations.
You can choose one of the following presentation types: workshop session, duddjon and lávostallan session, scientific paper, teaching experience presentation, or poster or film presentation. The presentation proposal should include a title and abstract, a description, and the purpose of the presentation.
The presentation should be between 200 and 500 words. All abstracts will be reviewed by the Conference Organizing Committee. The Committee will allocate abstracts to the program, taking into account the balance of the program.
New deadline to send abstracts is 5th of September 2021.
If you have already registered for the Conference, you will retain your participation. If you want to withdraw, please contact Sámi allaskuvla.
These are the types of submissions:
- Scientific paper – send in an abstract for a 20-minute presentation with 5 minutes for questions and discussion. The abstract for the presentation should include the research topic/aim, the theoretical framework, the methodological design, and the (expected) conclusions/findings. The selected papers will be presented in parallel sessions. Four different papers will be presented in each parallel session. The Conference Organizing Committee warmly welcomes presentations of research or development projects. The papers can present research results, in-progress research, or research ideas.
- Teaching experience presentation – send in an abstract for a 20-minute presentation with 5 minutes for questions and discussion. The presentations will be presented in parallel sessions. Four different presentations will be presented in each parallel session. The Conference Organizing Committee warmly welcomes presentations on teaching experiences, including works in-progress.
- Workshop session – send in an abstract that explains the purpose of the session as well as any special considerations for its structure. The Conference Organizing Committee warmly welcomes sessions that will engage participants in practical, creative, or performative works and discussions. The sessions can include the use of digital tools, teaching aids, ascetical, or traditional tools and materials.
- Duddjon and lávostallan session (traditional craft and knowledge exchange in the lávvu) – send in an abstract that explains the purpose of the session as well as any special considerations for its structure. The Conference Organizing Committee warmly welcomes sessions that will engage participants in practical, creative, or performative works and discussions. The session can include the use of digital tools, teaching aids, ascetical or traditional tools and materials.
- Poster or film presentation – send in an abstract for a poster or film exhibition and a 10- to 15-minute presentation including questions and discussion. The Conference Organizing Committee warmly welcomes relevant poster and film presentations related to the Conference theme.
The conference languages are Sámi languages, English, and Nordic languages. Sámi-speaking presenters are encouraged to give their presentations in Sámi. Presentations given in the auditorium will be interpreted.
More information about the conference can be found at www.samas.no.
For further information, please email Ylva Jannok Nutti at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need more information about the conference you can find contact information for the arrangers on this page.
1500 NOK - early registration until 5.6.2021
2025 NOK - late registration after 6.6.2021
920 NOK - for students, does not include dinner on monday and tuesday evening
The conference fee includes coffee breaks and lunches for each conference days, and conference dinner on tuesday and wednesday evening.
N.B. For student price the dinners are not included.