SÁM Introductory Sámi language in practical situation – Part I
- Language of instruction: Northern Sámi
- Study place: Guovdageaidnu
- 15 credits
- Semester plan
This course is intended for those who don’t speak or write Sami language, but want to learn it from scratch. In this course you will learn the language by practical works.
- Course fee: 1200 NOK material fee and 400 NOK semester fee
- Scholarship opportunity from the Sami Parliament
The course emphasizes on communication and interaction between students in Sami. Students receive training through communication in various situations in everyday life. New words, speaking and writing exercises and language exercises are adapted for various topics. All topics include verbal tasks, role plays and simple texts.
The course also includes short and overnight excursions. The study concludes with an oral presentation of a project.
This course can be compared with European language portfolio A1-A2 (Davvin 1 and 2)
After this course you can continue with the Sami in practical situations, introductory part 2
Sami in practical situations, introductory part 1 and 2 provide a basis to study Semester Course in North Sami language.
Are you working in areas located in the Sami administrative area, it may require you to have Sami language skills. Therefore, this study fit for those who are preparing to work in Sami areas.
The education is intended for those who do not speak or write Sámi language.
According to the regulations for admission to higher education, Sámi Language in practical situation – Introduction 1. Part and 2. Part and Semester Course in North Sami Language are exempted from the requirement for Higher Education Entrance Qualification. The exception applies to applicants who have a Sami connection due to Sámi Univeristy of Applied Sciences regulations. The exception applies to applicants who have a Sami connection according to the following alternatives
- Sami who have lost their language and want to learn Sami language, or
- Employees at public institutions in Sami areas who want to learn Sami language, or
- Others (eg, applicants who live in a Sami family or in a Sami area and wants to learn Sami)
Applicants will write motivation letters explaining which of the alternatives are the basis for the application.
The course has 15 study seats. Prioritization of study seats is done according to the regulations of Sámi Univeristy of Applied Sciences:
8 places are reserved cooperative institutions outside the Nordic region.
Remaining study seats are prioritized as follows:
1. Sami who have lost their language and want to learn Sami language
2. Employees at public institutions in Sami areas who want to learn Sami language
3. Others (eg, applicants who live in a Sami family or in a Sami area and wants to learn Sami)