Sámi allaskuvla / Sami University of Applied Sciences (SUAS) is a cross-border education and research institution that recruits students and employees from all over Sápmi. Formally, SUAS is part of the Norwegian university and of Applied Sciences sector. In the strategy period Sámi University of Applied Sciences will work to strengthen the alliance perspective through good and flexible education and good research work nationally and internationally.
Usage, training and development of Sami language will be central. During the strategy period, Sami University of Applied Sciences will renew accreditation to WINHEC. SUAS will also strengthen its international cooperation in research, student exchange and the exchange of professional skills.
Vision: A Sami and Indigenous University
A Sami and Indigenous University where Sami language is heard and read daily, and the values and mindset of Sami and other indigenous peoples are at the center.
- Develop the institution to become a leading university and a higher education and research institution in Sápmi, in Norway, in the indigenous peoples world and also globally
- Sami knowledge and understanding of life as a basis for the values of Sami University of Applied Sciences
The central values of Sami University of Applied Sciences
Sami University of Applied Sciences aims to:
- Be a Sámi and indigenous education and research institution with a solid professional profile
- Develop offers that meet the academic challenges of the Sami communities
- Be the student's first choice as a study and research institution
- Be a leading institution in strengthening and developing Sami as a science, education and management language
- Work for the Center for Sami in education to become a permanent national competence center
- Strengthen and prioritize studies and research that promotes Sami University of Applied Sciences to become a University
- Carry out the main tasks in the most efficient way within the economic and professional framework conditions that apply at all times